PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will Qatar Pilots be considered "Strikbreakers"?
Old 2nd Jul 2017, 02:53
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ironbutt57
all of the "permanent replacement pilots" that crossed the picket line (scabbed) at Continental Airlines during the '83 strike, were "forgiven" in 1994, and went from being "scabs", to ALPA members in good standing with unfortunate dates of hire...in other words, the whole thing is a load of bollox...there may be nasty rhetoric flying about while the strike is in progress, yes, there is a list, I have on my computer, no, nobody cares except a few sore losers....
Just Google 'Jumpseat Protection List' but I don't think it's been updated for many years. Was the last major U.S. airline pilot strike Northwest in 1998?

Going on strike is not the great fad that it once was in my observation. Like a lot of us, I've been there, got the picket line t-shirt more than once. Never crossed the line and watched guys that did merged ahead of me on the seniority list with their 'unfortunate' dates of hire.

Yep, there was an amnesty given by ALPA to the 'former' scabs at Continental. Did it apply to the United $75K and $50K pilots as well?

Originally Posted by Metro man
For some Australian pilots, 1989 is still fresh in their memories.
Well, they can't call anyone a strikebreaker since AFAP never went on strike in 1989. The union told the members to fax in their resignations (don't worry, trust me etc.) and the rank and file complied. Their ALPA brothers at United flew a couple of Oz 'humanitarian relief charters' before they were called on it. Anyway, the companies accepted the resignations and many of the AFAP members became Whistling Dan Romans in the expat world.

ALPA has certainly crossed the picket line of other unions, e.g. AMFA at Northwest in 2005. It will be curious to see if they try to (illegally) blacklist non-union QR pilots for flying the BA charters.

U.S. citizens and green card holders at the Middle East carriers are bailing out of the left seat on the A380 and Triple and upgrading to right seat on the 737 and A320 at places like DL, AA and UA. But, getting fired at QR for refusing the BA flights might be riskier than being put on some list for U.S. airline résumé purposes.

A newhire FO and former EK poster child now completing her probationary year in the right seat at United: