Old 1st Jul 2017, 22:44
Tankengine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkqq
Hi all,

Just got 1 Class 1 medical. It lists a couple of "restrictions":

1 - Distance vision must be worn
2- Reading correction to be available

First I am puzzled about the second line. My glasses are for myopia. I have no trouble with reading close-up material (with the same glasses) and the doctors was able to easily see that. I have some astigmatism. Could it be what this second restriction is for?

There is no clause saying I need to keep a "spare" pair. The doctor said I would need to have a spare pair which I was already aware of.

I am concerned with the word "restriction". Reason is certain airlines such as Emirates or Etihad wants an "Unrestricted Class 1 Medical".

Does this disqualify me automatically? Or perhaps their interpretation of unrestricted is for more severe conditions? I have spoken to an EK pilot (ex 777 captain) who has worn glasses all his life, and doing a Linkedin search I see a number of them wearing glasses.

I was happy to pass my medical (with flying colours actually), but now freaking out a little about the word "restricted".

Any advice would be much appreciated.
This turned up on my licence at some time, my latest Dame has had it removed as my reading abilities are fine without glasses.