PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Air Asia Turnback Perth 25 Jun 17
Old 1st Jul 2017, 08:32
RetiredTooEarly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doubt it!

Originally Posted by Unregistered_
Comments from a passenger:

"At times the vibration of my seat back was too much to be able to rest against. I had to sit forward in the seat" and "The passengers around me were discussing why we were not landing at a closer airport"

Mr Fernandes said in a Facebook post. “But when it does happen, it takes great pilots and great leadership in times of crisis. I’m beaming with pride."

I'll bet Mr Fernandes wouldn't be "beaming with pride" had the severely vibrating engine module come away with part of the wing abeam Geraldton.

Unbelievable.
Highly unlikely that would have happened in spite of the vibration! Engines are held on (basically) by a couple of BIG bolts that are intended to shear when stresses get too much....... bigger worry would be it tearing off and striking the wing front on the way up and over though manufacturers have rerouted most of the hydraulics, fuel and electrics away from this area owing several aircraft having been lost some decades back!

Things like overnight(s) passenger accomodation, new engine availability, lack of knowledge of the chosen alternate airport can all contribute to a captain taking the "long way home!"

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't!