Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2017, 20:15
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BRS CEO moving on

Hello B_T.

Nine years in post is a decent innings and with the root and branch look at the way ahead due to take place in the next year it's an opportune time for a new pair of eyes to take a fresh look at things, assuming that there is not a promotion from within which has happened at least once in the past with BRS's top job.

I suspect that things like air bridges, the runway, coping with ever increasing passenger numbers on a small site will all come under the microscope.

I doubt there will be shops taken out of the terminal as it's one of the revenue streams that airports like BRS look to these days and the airbridge for which planning permission is in place is not likely to eventuate until there is a long-haul scheduled route or two which might mean a long wait.

New easyJet routes were strongly hinted at by a senior member of the airline when visiting BRS a few weeks ago but they might well be more sun routes already operated by other airlines.

There are still lots of complaints about the queues for security outbound and the queues for immigration inbound as you will know from first-hand experience far better than me. Most undoubtedly occur at the peak times outside of which transiting BRS can still be a pleasant experience in so far as travelling through any airport these days is pleasant, but the huge sums expended on trying to improve the passenger experience (£160 million since 2010 and not much less - at today's values - in the decade before that) have not addressed matters completely successfully.

Moving from 6.3 mppa to around 8.3 mppa in three years - the anticipated figure at the end of this year - is a big ask with even all the new infrastructure being sorely tested at times.