PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dans la Merde......
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2017, 17:23
harrym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra value from local flights.

There was (is?) a large grey area between what is 100% legal in the narrowest sense as against positively venal, as per that wise dictum: “.......rules and regulations are for observance by fools, but for the guidance of wise men”. Between the two extremes lies a wide space which those possessed of discernment can use to their own advantage, without any disadvantage to the public good and often of honest benefit to others.

Take for instance the situation where a type-conversion cross country flight was routed 'up north', giving the chance to carry out an instrument approach at Machrihanish (unfamiliar airfield, thus good training value) where a local fish merchant was waiting with a van full of previously ordered fresh fish. Thus at no cost to public funds the local economy was enhanced, while a significant number of families at Brize were able to enjoy the healthiest of foods – and yes, the fish (especially the kippers) was just divine!

Then there was the occasion at Abingdon when, faced with the prospect of a dreary six hour drive home for the weekend, I learnt that a Beverley was shortly to leave for Dishforth; so, with the help of a friendly movements staff (and good training for them too!) my car and I were soon on our way in comfort at 8000ft instead of enduring the horrors of a long pre-motorway journey. Was it sinful of me? - perhaps, but it harmed nobody.