PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Vixen
Thread: Sea Vixen
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2017, 16:04
Bonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NickB
Other airframes wise, even if other owners were prepared to have their pride & joys cannabilised, there must be other implications to consider such as flying hours/faitgue on said components (would the CAA allow this?) plus someone else has said that these aircraft were built in the analogue age and many donor components just might not fit!
That's what I meant by "structurally sound" in my post above - as in fatigue life. There was no problem with parts and airframe interchangeability when I worked on the FR Aviation operated fleet in the 70s and 80s. Plus the FAA did major repairs on them quite regularly when in service after very heavy landings and mishaps. I recall a wing replaced on one in FR service from a donor frame and other major airframe components.

With respect to other owners having their "price and joy" cannibalized....if they are never going to fly again and only museum exhibits, why wouldn't another owner want to assist - particularly the FAA Museum who surely would have a vested interest in the RN having a flying frame? Plus any internal component, ie gearbox will not really matter either as it will never, ever be functionally used again on the donor frame?