PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display 'C*ck Ups'
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2017, 13:34
IcePaq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw it as a kid but, being from USA on vacation, I'm not really sure where piccadilly is.

Dad, who is a skyraider pilot (flew #577 in Nam) chuckled and said "I'm not sure that was in the briefing".....but he had a big smile on his face.

I do remember it being super impressive..............as if large manta rays glided over me .................of which a real manta ray had actually glided over me a couple of weeks earlier as I snorkeled around biscayne bay.

Funny thing is that I saw "the incredible Mr. Limpet" starring Don Knotts just a few days before and there was a scene where manta rays were gliding over.

A couple weeks later, I was at church and a guy drove up in a "manta ray" corvette conversion.

It seems odd now, but living on key biscayne in the early 70s had super rare cars abounding and guys like Grover Loening, Eddie Rickenbacker and some other aviation company founders as neighbors

For an 11 year old kid, that was enough for me to declare the summer to be a "manta ray summer" and I actually found a "manta ray" show car trading card at dulles airport along with the super rare orange flavor "big buddy bubble gum" which was a foot long piece of gum.

Dulles airport shops always had candy variations that I could not find living in miami.

A day or so later, we were at "shuttleworth collection" to walk the museum but there was also a RC model fly-in going on with my favorite plane being a prop driven "me163" which was clearly the fastest and most capable plane there.

He eventually ran into some radio interference which caused it nose in.

Maybe he posts here.

With the great miami air race a few months earlier, this was the greatest summer ever.............for an 11 year old.

The only bad news that summer was eddie rickenbacker passing and not being able to see the unlimited hydroplane races at miami marine stadium............which had me bummed out about going to england..........until the vulcan flyby and the shuttleworth collection.

Back to topic.............I do remember dad saying "the vulcans will pass from that direction (pointing) and waiting for the approach to have them suddenly appear not from where he was pointing.

I still love the vulcan to this day because of that summer.........the Victor just plain scared me.

Last edited by IcePaq; 30th Jun 2017 at 13:53.