PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reducing headwind additives on final approach
Old 4th Feb 2002, 15:13
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
What I am unable to explain to myself is that no wind additives are needed if the auto-throttle is used ? - except that Boeing recommend adding five knots to Vref in the 737.. .There is a significant difference between adding up to 20 knots max additive to Vref for a non-auto throttle approach yet only a five knot additive to Vref is required for an auto throttle approach.

Does that mean that landing in a gusty max limit crosswind plus a significant headwind additive one should always use the autothrottle in order to keep the approach speed at Vref plus five?. .Certainly less chance of over-run on a limiting wet runway I suppose.

In the simulator it seems almost impossible to see anyone arriving at the flare at good old Vref. Invariably crews seem apprehensive of Vref even though it gives ample fat above the stall.. .Is it because the simulator runways lengths are mostly around 7-10,000 ft and who gives a damn if the aircraft floats half way down the runway as long as it is a greaser.