PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display 'C*ck Ups'
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2017, 01:25
Fly26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was once told a lovely story by my Granddad many moons ago who was a Vampire and Meteor pilot in the 50s/60s. The hard facts I'm sure have distorted with time so if anyone can shed further light it would be nice to hear......

I cannot remember where but on one of the practice days to a weekends display an unknown Meteor pilot was strutting his stuff. When on one of the passes he duely shutdown or idled (not familiar on type) one of the engines and opened the fuel valve trailing vast quantities of the stuff before entering a slow roll. On completion opened the taps to climb away thus relighting the engine and the 100ft plus fuel trail down the display line......(Granddad starts chuckling away) .....I seem to recall he mentioned the pilot was Polish if that rings any bells.

The convosation with the OC after went something like this....."what the bl**dy hell do you call that?" ....the response being a "paraffin roll sir!" OC barks in return "There be no **** paraffin rolls tomorrow!"

I'm not sure how accurate that is but I would imagine today even the thought of such a manoeuvre would telepathically give health and safety and heart attack unless conducted above FL300!