PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane crash near Mt Gambier
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2017, 20:19
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What we essentially have is a commercial pressure (though self imposed) on pilots who probably only fly once a week or less, in most cases favourably VMC conditions. Many AF pilots would be instrument rated, however the weekend flyers would still not push their instrument flying skills to the limit on a regular basis and would likely only fly IFR recreationally in conditions that are marginally worse than what one could do under VFR.
What uninformed nonsense.

In fact MikeWil's who post is some sort of imagined fantasy.

Any Angel Flight pilot who has cancelled a flight knows that there is no pressure from Angel Flight to complete the flight. I have personally cancelled an AF due to fog and contrary to MikeWils ignorant assertion, AF encourage pilots to cancel if the pilot feels the situation is marginal.

The AF pilots I know are competent, current, regular pilots and AF requires the pilot to confirm his / her currency before applying for each flight.

Furthermore, the most cursory research by posters like MikeWill will show that the pilot concerned flew very regularly. FlightAware show the history of his flights with filed flight plans. At a guess you could probably double those flights to account for flights without a submitted flight plan.

And (as a CPL) I reject the assertion that CPL's are inherently safer pilots than PPL. I'll take a 70 year old, current, experienced PPL over a spotty faced CPL mass produced by one of the major flight training organisations any day of the week.

Last edited by Old Akro; 29th Jun 2017 at 20:30.