PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixture Control
Thread: Mixture Control
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2017, 14:40
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TelsBoy
P.S. I was always taught that closing the throttle completely on taxiing before applying brakes was to save wear on the brakes, as even at 1000rpm there's enough thrust there to work against the brakes - saves Mx costs!
Ah - sorry maybe I didn't explain my point well enough. The running at above 1000rpm was to not foul the plugs, despite often giving you too much thrust at paved airports. As you pick up speed you need to slow down, by closing the throttle before applying the brakes for your very reason - yes! However, if leaned you could happily taxi at much lower revs without leaning, hence not need to keep opening / closing the throttle, and keeping a safe taxi speed without use of the brakes at all.

Interesting Chuck! I am quite surprised to hear your thoughts on this! So you're suggesting that they may have been running slightly ROP and that caused damage? That is surprising indeed! I may be reading what you linked wrong, but I don't see that significant a temp change between LOP and ROP. I was always under the impression that ROP operations would always enable a slight element of cooling from excess fuel going in. Interesting!