PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GAPAN Scholarships (J N Somers & others) 2003 & Earlier
Old 2nd Sep 2003, 17:54
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fly (if I may call you that!)

Still not sure you really understand about psychometrics from this quote;
Also, I am not at all confused about psychometric testing and aptitude testing, but was just trying to ascertain whether these specific tests were possibly more personality/behaviour orientated or aimed to assess practical suitability to fly.
The point is that psychometric tests come in all sorts of flavours. Aptitude testing is just one variety and this encompasses verbal and numerical reasoning (English and Maths tests to you and me!) diagrammatic or spatial reasoning (you know, all the shapes and patterns and sequences etc) and personality profiling (where you have to choose your preference between a fluffy bunny and a shotgun).

So the tests are designed to get an overall picture of the individual, finding out about learned skills (in the aptitude tests) and personal character traits (from the personality profile), which incidently can't be learned, they are fixed from an early age.

If they want to test your pure flying ability (or potential) they will give you some kind of hand/ eye co-ordination test, such as a simulator assessment, but they want much more than just flying ability these days, hence why they run all the other assessments.

I have little experience of RAF entry tests, perhaps you may get more feedback in the military forum, but Morrisby run psychometrics so the above is highly relevant if that's what the RAF use.

Regards and once again good luck.

PP