PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane crash near Mt Gambier
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2017, 12:32
outnabout

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I am not 100% sure, but I think there is a requirement to show that you are not particularly flush for cash before you qualify for an AF. I am not positive that you can just rock up and demand an AF.

It's not entirely true that those in the bush are completely without support for treatment in the big smoke. Your doctor can sign a PATS form when they review you before you travel to the nearest treatment. The Passenger Assisted Transport Scheme will contribute towards petrol if you are driving, a bus fare if that's an option, and as a last resort will fund a seat on an RPT flight unless you are really crook. Usually, anyone accompanying you pays standard rates.

On tomorrow's (Fri, 30/6/2017) RPT flights, the cheapest seat - YMTG / YPAD / YMTG - will cost 432.20 return for one person. The most expensive seats are 960.20 return per person. This is the carrier who has their heart in the country (and their hand in your pocket). Mind you, if you live really remote, like YCBP or YCDU, the most expensive seat purchased at the last minute is over $1k return. Plus credit card fees.

I understand that Angel Flight provide a fabulous alternative - a friendly guy or gal who understands true Australian values contributing the use of their private aircraft to someone who needs help to get health treatment not available locally. I get that, and I like the concept.

However, in reading aviation accident reports for over 20-odd years, one thing has become blindingly obvious to me. There appear to be only 3 ways to contribute to the statistics of GA accident fatalities:
Pilot incapacitation due to medical issues - rare.
Aircraft mechanical failure - slightly more common.
Human factors, including when the skills required exceed the skills available. And this appears to be the single common factor in the majority of GA aircraft accidents. And, in my opinion, this is the single reason why pilots are their own worst enemies. I note that CASA have now mandated that they will not accept hand-Written logs from pilots managing their own diabetes but will now only accept electronic evidence from blood sugar testing devices. Could this possibly be because pilots have been fudging their blood sugar records to continue with their affair with the passion that is aviation?

I don't agree with Jabawocky often, but I do agree with his mantra - Trust the Data.