PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lakenheath working too hard?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2003, 17:45
whowhenwhy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LKH do not actually form part of the LARS unit chain, although they are happy to work anything that is coming their way! If you were unable to get through to them then your best bet is to either a) do what everyone else does in East Anglia and call Norwich on 119x35 or b) call the guys with the LARS commitment ie Coltishall or further south Wattisham (sorry don't know there VHF freqs) they'd even be able to hand you over to LKH. They would also be able to tell you if STANTA was hot above 2500' (which it wasn't).

I wouldn't MOR LKH it's not really their fault that they were busy. They do have a LOT of aircraft in and out of MLD (which they provide radar services for) and LKH and it sounds like the controller may have had VHF and UHF freqs bandboxed maybe??

Personally as a mil controller I wouldn't have expected you to orbit and wait for me to talk to you, but if you wanted to win serious brownie points it would have been an idea to give their CMATZ a wider berth, especially if they were that busy with inbounds and outbounds. Yes I know that civ pilots only have to recognize the ATZ and avoid that, however, if you try and stop a C17 with a PA-31 (or whatever) then ....Besides our American cousins will only suspect you of being an Al Qaeda terrorist!