PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane crash near Mt Gambier
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2017, 00:24
Dexta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jobsright
Without going into a long reply, unless you were taking off in in an IFR twin turbine with auto feather, I am fairly sure YMTG would have been no go this morning.
Single engine IFR - Instrument Departure: 300' ceiling 2Km vis (AIP ENR 1.5 4.4, 4.4.2) - wether this is below your personal minimums or not is up to you.

I do not know if the pilot had an IR or PIFR (it did come up in conversation once but I cannot remember now what was said) , but I do know the difficulties in getting and maintaining either an IR or PIFR here in SA. Very few people can do the initial training (especially PIFR) and with the new regs it is easier and cheaper to do an IR renewal than a PIFR renewal (you have to do all the AFP's in the aircraft etc.). A lot of people I have spoken too do not want or need a full IR (old CIR) but do want the added safety of a PIFR, and a few have gone to QLD to do it.
When will CAsA realise they are reducing safety by;
- Making it hard for testing officers and flight training
- Increased costs via useless ADS-B (under 10000' private only)
- Increased costs by unrealistic recency requirements
- removing Instrument Approaches from non registered or certified airfields.

CAsA should be doing all it can to encourage private pilots who do a fair bit of cross country flying to do a PIFR, maybe, just maybe in this case it could have saved three lives.