PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display 'C*ck Ups'
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2017, 14:43
SATCOS WHIPPING BOY

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator
Pointing outbound is the display pilot's nightmare when they get the call expedite.

Yes, Happened at Boscombe Down mid 90s at the OM sunset ceremony (might have been a BoB ceremony). We were in the tower waiting for the timing call from the Mess for the tornado to start his run in. Call came through that band were behind schedule and could he delay. This was duly relayed to the pilot (Might have been D... S.......d if memory serves me correctly). Just as he established outbound towards Andover we got the call that all was BACK on schedule. Again duly relayed to the pilot. We watched on the radar as the aircraft came bolting in and it was really shifting. Next call we got was that he was pulling up and wanted higher than the 15,000. This was not a problem as Boscombe had autonomous radar status so he was given an unrestricted upper level.

All fine and dandy. but... Things in the cockpit were not as expected. As the pilot crossed the airfield boundary, his mind was directed to the fact that he was still in full burner and accelerating close to transonic speeds. Throttles were pulled back but there was the risk still of peeling a boom off over the Officer's Mess. Luckily (unluckily some might say) this didn't happen and a perfect dry-power climb ensued - the burners were lit up again briefly to give the desired effect for the spectators below. I watched this from the ATC balcony and damn impressive it looked too

Found out about how close a boom had been talking to the pilot in the bar afterwards.

PS
I have just read through all the previous posts and the SR-71 tales always make me smile. Reminders of the low pass down Watton High St ..but that is another story.