PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixture Control
Thread: Mixture Control
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2017, 14:42
Chuck Notyeager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BatteriesNotIncluded
Hello all.

Whilst reading over old threads I have encountered a few regarding different methods of mixture control. In my training (which is yet to finish, as I had to take a long life sabbatical until just recently) I was taught to lean the mixture either above 5000ft or on long cross country trips.

Now, I have just stumbled across a few threads about ground leaning, for instance. This is news to me. I'm fascinated and, as usual, want to know about it, what you do and other tips you may have.

Disclaimer: I know there have been a few threads about this over the years, but most are buried and I figured it's been long enough to do a RAFT check. (New acronym I've made up for "Re-animate a forum thread")
This subject is dear to my heart as most pilots are scared of the Red Knob. Most likely because they were taught by a 300 hour pilot who was taught by a 250 hour pilot, etc.

This all leads/has led to all the old wives tales pilots have been told. So far in this thread there has (as usual) been some good advice and some bad advice.

My suggestion is visit Pelican's Perch https://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182146-1.html Articles 8, 18 and 19 are compulsory followed by 15 and 16 and any/all the rest John Deakin has written.

If you can find articles written by Walter Atkinson of https://www.advancedpilot.com/ then study them. You will be better informed listening to these two gentlemen than the OWT from young instructors.

If you are going to lean on the ground, then lean aggressively. This will assist in keeping the combustion temperature up and prevent full power being applied. One post mentioned the PA38. Most 4 cylinder Lycomings have their mags wired left mag to left top, right bottom and right mag to right top, left bottom. (Plugs, that is...) The O-235 in the PA38 had one mag wired to top plugs and the other to the bottom plugs. The bottom plugs would always foul. Lycoming brought out an SB to cure this; the problem is lead accumulation and not soot.

I have owned and RV-6 (IO-360) and RV-10 (IO-540) and would gladly demonstrate full throttle at sea level and 150F LOP. (91% power)

Tin hat, flak jacket, foxhole....

Last edited by Chuck Notyeager; 28th Jun 2017 at 17:56.