PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ regionals hemorrhaging
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2017, 08:42
Jbrownie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InZed
I don't think it's just Air NZ regional having issues. All the airlines are unaware of the market at the moment and don't realise that the 'potential' of a jet job in a few years time isn't enough anymore to keep guys from leaving! When Qantas mainline are looking for 1000+ SO's in the next few years; Virgin are looking for 200+ guys as well; Jetstar jets are desperate both in NZ and AU... Regional carriers need to look at what they're offering ASAP to prevent the exodus that's happening.

I have heard from a mate that just started at Jetstar regional that there are apparently only 30 pilots on the books there.

IIRC, the amount of guys leaving they said were like: four to Jetstar NZ or AU and are set to leave by the end of the year; there are another three about to leave for Virgin NZ or AU in the next two months; three are into Qantas mainline with on leaving in the next couple of weeks; one is going to Airwork on the 737 next month; and two are off to JetConnect.

They are in a dire situation, and have reduced the schedule from July. I have also heard through another mate, that their cancellation rate is running at around 15%, so about 1 in 8 flights are cancelled. I have heard that they have lost 10 guys already since the operation began 18 months ago! And they were having crisis meetings about whether to pull the pin. Apparently a few QL pilots put their hands up to come help out. But it seems like the company hasn't resolved their issues, and are set to lose another 13 by the end of the year. I can't see how they can continue to keep operating like this personally.

All the Qantaslink pilots that have been coming over, are sick of the working conditions apparently, crap or no food provided, and being away from home for entire rosters. I was told that Qantaslink put out information about NZ tours when the operation kicked off to all the QL captains, and only a few put their hands up. Almost all of the guys doing it have left and are refusing the come back. So they don't seem to be able to rely on the QL guys to come over and top up the roster anymore and schedule to prevent cancellation of flights.

I have heard that their duties are horrible. Five sectors followed by nine hours rest (that includes driving to and from the airport, so guys have been regularly getting 5 hours sleep apparently) - followed by a 6am start and another five sectors! I heard that the ATSB has been involved with their roster pairings and while they aren't breaking any laws, the company has been slowly trying to reduce these shifts as apparently too many guys are going fatigued in the morning and causing cancellations. Some have also apparently been getting three day trips (double overnights) now! I have heard that their crew are regularly running around 90 hours a month and some have been having weeks off as they're hitting their annual limits.

Apparently the guys have had no pay rises since the operation began, they are getting dicked around with allowances and the crew are constantly having to track their own allowances and request the ones not being paid. The FOs are apparently all pissed off and leaving as the company are not upgrading them, in preference for external (visa holding) captains joining the company (see the Rishworth ad above). And apparently all the guys working on their EBA have left now as the company wasn't prepared to negotiate reasonable terms with them! It seems to me that they don't realise how many guys are leaving and are about to leave!

My mate that just started has an interview with Virgin next month and plans to pay out the bond to get off the sinking ship. I've heard that two of the new FOs in line training currently are awaiting VA interview dates as well.
Sounds like drama you coughed up to me. I believe they are lacking captains, not F/Os. The new guys are now on a more competitive contract closer to Airnelsons and annual increases. Duty might be slightly higher but they are doing 6-8 overnights a month and usually back home, unlike the ANZ link guys who are now going away for days at a time.

Highely doubt they are 'about to pull the pin' from the NZ operation. There has been strong movement in the industry and like always eventually all the positions will be filled up and the recruitment drives slowed down.