PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glasgow ATC to ban zone transits in July and August
Old 28th Jun 2017, 07:46
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I have heard is that Glasgow's watches should have six people covering four positions. But there are now only four staff to cover the four positions, so things will be getting very very busy when staff take their mandatory breaks.

The result of that, we have been told - unofficially - is that it will be very unlikely that any GA will get permission for zone transits.

Now, this may have been a polite, behind the scenes, request from individual controllers who come to Strathaven - we had the Large Model Association's airshow here last weekend and there was a lot of talking and not much flying due to the wind! - because they can see what is bound to happen next month.

There has certainly been nothing official - or unofficial - in terms of discussion with NATS about how to make the most of this supposed situation with local airfields such as Cumbernauld and Strathaven.

As for the NOTAM:

I wonder when the last time was that a microlight landed at Glasgow? I was responsible for Glasgow's ban on microlights in their entire airspace being lifted about 10 years ago. When we asked to land during the ash-cloud shutdown, the fees totalled £140! So Strathaven pilots just flew down the main runway at 20ft for free! Have never heard of any microlights landing at Glasgow!

There is one gyro who has been going in to Leading Edge on a regular basis, so I suppose this has been targeted at him.

(Was talking to Alan at LE last week and he said he was about to add another aircraft to his fleet, so Glasgow-based GA must be OK)

Not sure what the rest of the NOTAM means - you have to file a flight plan to access Class D anyway, don't you? Traditionally, a radio request for a zone transit was regarded as such, but over the past few years with the introduction of electronic strips - and the loss of assistants! - Glasgow and Edinburgh have asked that people call up beforehand to set up their route.

Obviously, Strathaven has not got an ICAO code - and has been refused one by the allocation authorities - so our flight plans are XXXX to XXXX ! Not too helpful!