PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380plus winglets
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2017, 12:55
The Outlaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gardenshed
Dropp,
You can argue semantics if you want, 430 Pax with 14 paying first class price, 76 paying Business and the rest paying economy, will earn more than 6/8 First, 42 Business, and the rest paying Economy fares.
So your argument falls flat there.
At the end of the day it's good on some routes and you have to ask questions on why it operates others. But even the venerable B777 isn't going to make a dime if it's near enough empty.
The bigger problem would appear to be we are not attracting enough passengers.
I think Dropp's point is valid enough, the 380 will lose a lot more money per tonne/seat mile than a 777 would if percentage load factor in all classes was equal.

I also think Gardenshed has scratched the surface of the problems facing the airline, not only are they not attracting the numbers, its the other factors:

Inflexibility to substitute efficient equipment on routes with reduced passenger numbers.

Reduced yields do to competition, especially from those carriers who recognized the importance of the point above.

Instability in the ME, due to recent events in the GCC, Iraq, Syria, Iran just to name a few.

Inability in management to foresee and prepare for such eventualities, becoming top heavy and a corporate structure that does not allow inter-departmental communication. Mired in government policy which fosters a inefficient office work force.

An operational workforce that has little to no morale due to outdated methods of keeping a workforce productive, happy and efficient. Add to that, pay which has not kept up with inflation - a de-facto pay decrease year on year.

There are many more reasons but I think we all have the picture. The Chinese and Indians want a piece of the action as well so I think you will see increased efforts on their part.

Its sad when you can sum it up in one small sentence: Less ego, less SVP-XXX, more 787/350's, better staff morale.