PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Air Asia Turnback Perth 25 Jun 17
Old 27th Jun 2017, 08:41
Miles Long

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TineeTim
So many posters absolutely sure their opinion is correct and the Captain's was wrong. Interesting

'Nearest Suitable' is a subjective term, no doubt that's intentional. Someone posted what Boeing says about it and, in my opinion, the Captain here made a reasonable decision.This Captain decided Perth was the best option. You might have made a different decision, I might have made a different decision, doesn't mean he's wrong. As evidenced by the different opinions here, it's not as straightforward as too many are making it out to be.
"Nearest Suitable" is clearly defined in at least one major Australia airline's procedures, there's nothing subjective about it. Flying past an Adequate or EDTo Alternate is subjective, flying past a Suitable is not.
I do however acknowledge that Learmonth may not have been designated as Suitable or equivalent to AirAsia, and that other factors may have precluded a landing in Learmonth or favoured a return to Perth.
But hopefully not those factors affecting safety, like passenger convenience, accommodation etc.
Then, with an Airbus, you get this ECAM alert..."LAND ASAP" in either red or amber, depending on the severity of the situation.
I've heard a number of interpretations on this one, to me it's pretty clear.