PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MCC Course
Thread: MCC Course
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2017, 08:04
Alex Whittingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I don't know if it's worth paying 1500€ more to go to Simtech
Simtech have a sound reputation. We assessed their course two years ago and ended up sending a member of staff there for her MCC/JOC. Yes, its worth paying for a good course, whether they have reliable links to Ryanair any more is open to question as I understand Ryanair no longer use their equipment for assessments.

All MCCs are not the same, a KingAir minimum hours course may well leave you thinking you have wasted your money, a properly constructed MCC/JOC (and I don't mean just a couple of extra hours) with proper non-technical groundschool will tick the same box but also (i) train you much better for multi-crew ops and (ii) significantly improve your chances in sim assessments.

I disagree that full motion sims are required, to me it makes no difference. I do think that, from the point of view of flying characteristics, an aircraft type with podded engines is important for the pitch/power couple, a jet for the landing and approach technique, and flight speeds, and either a Boeing or Airbus autopilot for familiarity can help. A feedback from type rating trainers is that candidates are arriving with weak instrument flying skills particularly on the stabilised approach and that their scan is breaking down under pressure, presumably because of unfamiliarity with EFIS and flight director combinations. MCC isn't really about instrument rating training but I would expect a good training team to plug that gap as well.

Regarding autopilots I'd disagree with TryingToAvoidCBs, MCC shouldn't be a test of flying ability or a flying training exercise beyond familiarity with the features above. It should be about procedures and cockpit management. I would expect a well designed MCC to be conducted at least half on autopilot, maybe more.