PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forces braced for more cuts .....
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2017, 07:48
The Old Fat One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those with an interest, here are two interesting links I have dug out...both of which tell a similar story, to whit...

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...lCIaAnIP8P8HAQ

How the queen?s speech could bring down Theresa May ? POLITICO

If the Queens Speech is voted down, it would be constitutionally problematic for the tories & May to continue (using the last occasion 1924 as a "recent" precedent). However, the introduction of the Fixed Term Parliaments Act has introduced the possibility of a constitutional impasse, and as yet, the specific circumstances we face are untested, ie we are potentially in unknown territory.

All this is of course moot if the Queens Speech passes, as it looks likely to do. But it is worth noting that the expression "likely to do", along with the projections of political analysts, has come to mean absolutely FA over the last two years. There are a lot of angry politcos knocking about just now, and it will only take a few tories to say, "you know what, f**k this grubby power grab & brexit ****, not what my constituents elected me for, I'm out".

So who knows. It's flippin hard to even find out when the vote is...Thursday seems favourite.

Here's my odds

5/1 against Queens Speech voted down, constitutional row...another General Election in 3 months or less.

4/5 on Queens Speech squeaks thru'. TM continues for a while, its all about Brexit for two years, near to zero non-brexit related domestic legislative agenda.

Either way, decisions on defence spending will be non-existent at parliamentary level for the next two years plus, so just existing budget management by the MOD for the foreseeable future. It will be interesting to see how the MOD managers spin out a budget that is probably insufficient to meet their forthcoming needs.

And Corbyn will still have lost the election, it's past time that people got over it.
True, and other than ideologically blind Labour supporters nobody disputes that. But winning the most seats/votes does not necessarily inevitably lead to forming a government and there are plenty of historical precedents, home and abroad, to inform us thus.

Last edited by The Old Fat One; 27th Jun 2017 at 07:58.