PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can get a job anywhere but Oz
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2017, 06:06
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pilotchute
I will rephrase my earlier post. I meant to say United make it clear that only having the mins won't make you competitive. UA state that their min flight time required is 1000 turbo prop or jet. That is a polite way saying if you have that there is a high probability of you at least getting an interview. The examples you put up listed company mins but gave no indication as to the experience needed to be competitive.
I don't read it that way. Their minimum requirements are 1500 total and 1000 turbo prop or jet. Those numbers are not mutually exclusive.

What does that mean exactly? How does one 'earn' a jet job in Australia.
I'm not sure what Car RAMROD intends with his post. To me you "earn" a job by getting whatever experience is required to ensure you are amongst the applicants who are hired. You are not just handed a job merely because you happen to have the barest minimum of experience.

The very basic point that anyone applying for a job must understand is that there are often more applicants than there are positions available. This means the company hiring must choose from the applicants and therefore the applicants aren't being compared agains a minimum requirement, all the minimum requirement gives you is the right to apply, the applicant is being compared to all of the other applicants. It doesn't matter one whit if you've got 4000 total including business jet time and single pilot turbo prop if the other applicants have got 5000 hours with multi-crew turbo-prop command time and the company values that time more.

And it can go the other way. A company might prefer someone with less experience for whatever reason.

The point is that if you don't get a job, it's because the company hiring decided that, for whatever reasons, you weren't as good an applicant as the others.