PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Air Asia Turnback Perth 25 Jun 17
Old 27th Jun 2017, 02:20
Matt48

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Berealgetreal
My opinion and thinking:

Something goes "bang" and an engine stops. You can't pull over and have an engineer have a look and even if you could, the airplane would be grounded for weeks and maybe months. How do you know what damage has occurred? How do you know the last bolt holding a wing on isn't going to let go?

In this situation, in addition to the bang and the engine stopping, the entire fuselage engine and wing was shaking. The airplane and its occupants belongs on the ground and YPLM is long enough, wide enough and hard enough to not cause further danger. It was day time the terrain around the airport is forgiving and its hardly Broome in the dry season traffic wise.

Forget the problem with the stairs, hotels and every other thing you can dream up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XU0nAGKLYY

Whilst very different the Sioux city crash shows what fragments at high speed can do to an airplane.

How many stuff ups can one have before a spade is called a spade? Are Europe and the US wrong?
The Captain should be considering his passengers safety first and foremost, screw the lack of facilities, someone elses problem once he lands the plane. Safety first, one engine U/S, the other going flat out on a vibrating wing for 90 mins, what could go wrong.