PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oz Jobs 29.08.03
View Single Post
Old 2nd Sep 2003, 09:15
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continental-520

The reason Qantas have lower hour requirements than some of the larger charter companies in Cairns is that you start off as an S/O. Therefore the insurance requirements aren’t as high. You are operating in a multi crew environment with other crew that are considerably more experienced than you. All the charter companies in Cairns operate single pilot multi engine IFR operations. Because you are in command and by yourself, the insurance requirements are higher. Also it is worth pointing out that in the current climate, with the exception of Cadets, you will find that most of the pilots getting into Qantas have a lot more hours than the minimum they are after. Again why should they employ someone with 500 hrs when they can get someone with 3000 hrs? When I was employing pilots in Cairns a number of years ago we required 2500 hrs total, 750 hrs multi engine command, 100 hrs IF with three renewals and 100 hrs night command. We were always able to find suitable applicants with considerably more experience than this. Supply and Demand. On the subject of more hours going against you than lower hours. I don’t buy that argument at all. A good operator is one that is adaptive and wouldn’t have any problems flying a new aircraft type for a new employer. I’ve seen some really switched on Cadets and Direct entry S/O’s and some average ones as well. Personally I have always found it easier to train an experienced pilot than one that has a fresh CPL.