PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phone charger plugged in 110v/400hz...
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2017, 07:21
On-MarkBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircraft power outlets

I didn't write the 'garden slab' analogy for the benefit of a university degree course in electrical engineering. It was written as a 'Visualisation' for the benefit of airline cabin crew. Those that wish to deride the idea should work on a better way of explaining the matter to those who have no electrical or mechanical expertise. That would be more constructive, so take it in the manner for which it was intended.
The 'Ground service' circuit breakers that were burnt out, were because the airline concerned decided that they would supply DVD players to the passengers and the players were charged by the ground service receptacles on board. This decision was made without any consultation with maintenance nor myself at the time. I discovered what they were doing on a flight to the USA. The later failure of the ground service CBs were attributed to the charging of those units on board by Boeing. If you need to argue the point please contact them, but I can tell you now what they will say. You cannot plug anything into the aircraft that is not approved. You're effectively modifying the aircraft's electrical system and for that you require a minor or major modification, which in this case would include an electrical power and supply assessment. Sadly, there is always someone on Pprune who wants to argue even when the argument has been concluded, so those who wish to connect to the aircraft will need to show the modification approval obtained to do that or a notification from Boeing, Airbus or whoever made your aircraft in the form of a letter stating “NO TECHNICAL OBJECTION”, until then you CANNOT connect to the aircraft power outlet.