PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Air Asia Turnback Perth 25 Jun 17
Old 26th Jun 2017, 06:02
stringbender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Electra had many changes after the fatal inflight wing separation, one change was the advance of phasing the propellers to prevent vibration (prevent multiple blades from crossing the leading edge at the same time).

Air Asia:
I would suspect if the Captain kept the damaged engine running this may produce the vibration seen in the film vs it shut down.

When dealing with Operations at certain airlines information can be demanding to land the aircraft at the base of operations. Obviously you have an engine change but I would be very concerned over continuing a flight with excessive vibration. One person mentioned it was worse than a helicopter, I flew in plenty of those contraptions however never to experience what was referred. Severe vibration can damage all aircraft. I would think the vibration in the center of the aircraft where the engine is mounted is less vibration vs the cockpit. I experienced a moderate vibration from a worn out rudder bellcrank sperical bearing that came on while climbing out of FL 240 up to FL 390. I stopped climb and slowed down. Time to return back to where we started from, Dubai, but the Captain feels we can and should continue to Shanghai? Captain if you walk all the way back to the pressure bulkhead and your ok with this vibration I'm ok with it also. He returns and his eyeballs are wide open. I then inform him that we'll have to dump fuel. He calls operations and next thing we get a phone call from operations and then messages on our printer stating that the head of training has blessed us with a procedure of landing overweight. Really? Why do operations get involved making this **** up? We didn't declare an emergency, were not on fire. We entered an altitude and speed range where the vibration occured, we arrested it and returned but dumped fuel bring us within proper landing weight (limitations). Worked all the checklists and went to the hotel. The tail of a B744 is 64' and they didn't have proper checks on the tail because of the necessity of having a vertical stand. They changed the sperical bearing and problem solved. People that carry broken aircraft screw it up for the next crew. Continuing to China could have brought the flight control into a flutter. Was it a balance weight missing. You don't know.