PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Phone charger plugged in 110v/400hz...
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2017, 21:25
MurphyWasRight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Airbubba
Same here, both notebook computer and phone chargers work fine on 400 Hz.

Or, so I'm told...

I'm not rightly sure that's how it works with a modern switching power supply. You are saying that a 400 Hz input to a power supply that works on 50Hz somehow delivers more energy? Your slab argument may work for cold fusion or frogs and lily pads but I don't think it is applicable in this case.

And you claim that a little 100 watt computer brick can somehow overload a ground power CB on an airliner? A 757 has a 90 KVA ground power connection, right?
The garden slab analogy is actually quite good, unfortuanatly it was used opposite of the actual situation:
The 400Hz corresponds to the supply frequency, not the rated input frequency of the device.
It nicely illustrates how a higher input (supply) frequency reduces the needed size of input filter capacitor.

Old (heavy) linear supplies that have a stepdown transformer at the input will probably work at 400Hz, but depending on the core material might run a bit warmer due to increased hysteresis losses.

What will most definitely not work on 400 Hz if designed for 50/60 is anything that uses the frequency to control something, one example is a synchronous motor. For those 50/60 will make a difference, in some cases does not matte much, fan speed, in others a lot; record player or electric clock.

Interesting question pon power factor correction in larger supplies, although almost all are active not just magnetic filters.