PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aural Warning on Eurocopter EC120
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2017, 21:05
JTobias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aural Warning on Eurocopter EC120

All,

Long time, no post but here I am.

Are any of you aware of an audible warning tone that is heard on the Eurocopter EC120B without an associated illuminated caption, on the Caution Warning Panel (CWP)?

On two recent flights, I've heard the warning tone, with no light on the CWP. Initially the tone was a single 'bong' and then this was repeated a short time later. This was later followed by a double 'bong'. When I landed I noticed that there was oil over my tail boom and fenestron. My engine oil level was also much lower than the minimum level.

I had a similar experience today whereby I heard two separate instances of the (single) warning tone followed a short time later by a double 'bong'. Immediately afterwards the Engine Oil pressure light illuminated and upon landing it was again evident that I had run out of engine oil.

Note: this trip was after visiting maintenance and it had been determined that the oil was escaping through the breather tube and it was almost certainly a seal that needed replacing, which has been ordered. I am/was therefore fully aware that I was losing oil slowly.

The point to the question is basically whether or not these audible tones without an illuminated caption (single and double) are designed to be an early indicator of an imminent 'failure' of something.