PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Air Asia Turnback Perth 25 Jun 17
Old 25th Jun 2017, 10:15
WingNut60

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotel Tango
Yep, let's all make decisions from the comfort of our armchairs, without any knowledge of what was actually discussed and concluded by the guys who were actually handling the problem - and no doubt talking to the company!
What, I can't express MY opinion, now?
Did you look at the footage from the previous posts. That was a LOT of vibration from a windmilling engine.
Now do that for an hour and a half +.

As i said in an earlier post, it inevitably goes back to what constitutes a "suitable" airport for diversion.
I will readily admit that I do not know what that really means, and it seems, nor do many other contributors..
From other threads I have heard numerous arguments for "get it on the ground, ASAP".
Have a look at the thread for the event in northern Canada a couple of months ago.
Engine failure - land it in the tundra in a blizzard rather than somewhere with passenger friendly amenities and ground support.

Learmonth would most certainly have been available as an alternate.
In fact, other than Perth, it was probably the ONLY other suitable alternate within cooee.
Unless I'm mistaken, if Perth had closed up on them (not impossible at this time of year) their next options would have been back to Learmonth or head east to Adelaide.