PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 70 OTU and Habbaniya, 1942
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2017, 15:30
Kenya Blenheims

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Happy IV,

In the end did you find out anything over and above about Blenheim BA250? I would be very interested in anything you have found out about it?

PZU -it was an incredibly moving ceremony for all in Nanyuki Cemetery, in particular for the next of kin. We had a great dinner after courtesy of Dr. Michael Eliastam, nephew to one of the deceased, and some very moving tales from each family. What was most remarkable was the 'Missing in Action'' bit and that nobody knew what had happened to the plane. There was always that half expectation that one day they might just walk through the door. Whilst I do not want to diminish the loss of the families whose loved ones killed the additional emotional burden of simply just not knowing was immense.

That chapter is now closed, and we continue to work on the next plane which we believe to be V6192, flown by Rusk, Geyer and Tzamatzis which crashed on 4th July 1942. If the crash we have is correct, it appears the plane went into the Aberdare ountains at speed. In January this year there was a large fire on the moorlands which exposed much of the wreckage. The crash site is about 500m long x 200m wide, with the engines having been thrown furthest. We are trying to get engine numbers, which in turn will lead to a confirmation of the identity of the plane and subsequently the crew.

PM -I am a bit of a Luddite when it comes to matters of IT. I will try to see if I can contact you... somehow.