PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angle of attack indicator
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2017, 12:02
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Gundernak,

Introducing pitch tends to confuse the issue. Pitch is the sum of AOA and flight path angle. Stall depends ONLY on AOA and it is better to confine discussion to that parameter .
You may, or may not, stall at a lower AOA when flaps are deflected - it depends on what part of the wing stall first in each case. (assuming no slats of course). All I am saying is that the indicated AOA will be higher with flaps down at any given fuselage AOA if you stick with the clean aircraft calibration.
Piltdown Man is quite correct that nowadays it should be easy to vary the calibration to suit the configuration, but I think (and I am not a pilot) that one does not need to know an exact numerical value of AOA to fly safely. After all, some aircraft fitted with AOA indication present the data in arbitrary units rather than actual degrees. What is needed I believe is a clear indication of how close you are to a stall or buffet and/or whether you are flying at the recommended approach AOA, and that can be done without presenting actual AOAs

Last edited by Owain Glyndwr; 23rd Jun 2017 at 12:52. Reason: Better wording