PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA opinion: Aircraft must be grounded in temps over 40 degrees
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 16:19
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
john tullamarine, I should have been more specific, in a lot of my W&B Programs I've also included the ability for it to give you the TODR, LDR etc...etc..., was referring to those requiring Polynomials, not the CofG graphs and such. I agree entirely on your first point in response to my post.

megan, I understand what you're saying, but how do you know how the Aircraft will perform when above the 40degrees? You can extrapolate but you're assuming that the trend is continuous, perhaps after 40 degrees the Performance will decrease markedly?

I think we can all acknowledge that aircraft will have a temperature limitation, whether it's been put into your POH or not, it's common sense, eventually there has to be a temperature beyond which it's just not safe to be operating the Aircraft! Without the data showing this point how do you know where it is?

Most POHs/AFMs won't have it because, I'd suggest, they simply never tested it under extreme conditions above 40 degrees and therefore don't have the data. For all our fancy tech and know how it seems to be most of the information we have from our Manuals really came from someone jumping in the damned thing and taking it for a flight to figure out what will happen. I know it's more complicated than that but essentially that's what the data in them all boils down to.

I'm not saying that I necessarily agree with CASAs interpretation, BUT, I believe we all need to be reminded that if you choose to use your Aircraft without any proven data from the Manufacturer or another reliable source, you've basically just become a Test Pilot.

IMHO that really needs to be the biggest take away from this whole idea, extrapolation is fine and gives you a guide but you need to be prepared at some point to say "I don't know" when trying to decide if your Aircraft can comfortably and safely operate at such extreme temperatures and from there either seek the information from someone reliable who DOES know (Not just Joe Bloggs who has taken off tons of times at 45 degrees!), then if you can't get that data, perhaps it's time to sit back and wait for a few hours for things to cool off?