PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 12:43
ATNotts

Received 307 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotel Tango
Too much of a generalisation. Without doubt many do, but not all. I think that one of Birmingham's main problems is the mix of LCC passengers and mainline Economy passengers using the same terminal facilities. The two should be separated and be given facilities appropriate to their chosen "style" of travel. Quite a number of airports around the world have dedicated LCC terminals now days.
Excellent solution if only it were practical. Rather like the passengers who expect everything, but want to pay for nothing, the LCCs themselves want a level of service, but don't want to pay for it.

If you did have full service and no-frills terminals, which carriers would you lump in the to each category. Easy to categorise are the likes of United, Emirates, and Lufthansa (mainline) who would go into the full service terminal; and Ryanair, Wizz and EasyJet into the no frills terminal.

But where would you put FlyBe, and how about Thomson and Jet2? I guess the answer would be how much the airlines be willing to pay to give their customers a level of comfort, service and efficiency on the ground.

Another consideration is outside agencies particularly UK Border Agency who may not be willing to staff two separate UK border posts at smaller airports such as BHX.

I'm afraid that whatever the minority want (a smooth efficient transit through airports, free of bottlenecks like security, and a path to the gate that doesn't require a Hampton Court style maze to negotiate to get through the rip off that is airport shopping and the infernal Duty Free shop), it is the majority who know the price of everything and value of nothing that will win through.

I hate it, and it's part of the reason I've largely given up short haul flying in favour of taking my own car on Eurotunnel, but I fear the battle is long lost.