PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND 5
Thread: SOUTHEND 5
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 11:19
DC3 Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tws123
Likewise DUB is £20 cheaper from STN, and GLA is £30 cheaper from STN. asdf1234 is exactly right. For me SEN would be a no-brainer, but for those who live nearer to say Chelmsford, they would perhaps be swayed towards STN.
A fortune was spent on the A130. It is effectively a motorway linking the A12 to the A127. It's 20 miles from the centre of Chelmsford to Southend Airport, and takes just over half an hour outside of the rush hour. It is a virtually identical distance to STN. Yet you'd think Chelmsford and Southend were on different planets, and the inhabitants of each barely seem able to acknowledge the others' existence. So I don't hold out too much hope that SEN will be able to alter the mindset of our country cousins when it comes to their choice of airport.

I almost forgot: There's also an hourly coach service that takes 47 minutes to the terminal at SEN; 49 minutes the other way to STN. The point is, SEN is perfectly 'doable' from Chelmsford, but persuading large numbers to head south-east would be some achievement.

Last edited by DC3 Dave; 22nd Jun 2017 at 12:23. Reason: Afterthought