PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulated engine failure after take off in light piston engine twins
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 01:43
Xeptu

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
There appears to be an overlap between piston engines and turbines in the discussion.

I would like to explore the history of a pilot. When we start out, all our training is in pistons and outside of an airline environment most of our practiced EFATO exercises are in pistons and there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with any of the techniques discussed here, but there are some traps. When we move on to our first turbine. Most likely it will be a free power turbine and there are differences. Just to illustrate this I will extract a tiny piece of discussion for the purpose “I also teach to check fuel flows and EGT.” in a free power turbine you can have a failure (loss of the all important torque) and the engine is still running normally (ITT/fuel flow) which can send you down the wrong path. Then when we migrate to a fixed shaft turbine like the garrett, a completely different beast again.

There’s no one size fits all, how do we deliver effective differences training in a way that if missed or slips through the cracks the pilot doesn’t lapse back into what he knows or what he’s used to previously.

I know I havn’t explained this very well. How does one execute something he does not know.