PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2017, 01:15
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm not a 'stop then land' STOVL pilot so most what 'I know' is from e-mails from ex-A4G gone STOVLies, articles & comments on fora such as this one. My overall impression is that a STOVL aircraft does not require more fuel in the landing phase particularly (no overhead bolter tanker required either) because of the certainty of landing vertically when in sight of that big flat deck. The STOVL Mode 4 flight can be relatively short depending on circumstances and it is guaranteed so no extra fuel is required in the landing pattern (unlike conventional carrier ops).

Yes the STOVL Mode 4 F-35B can burn fuel quickly as it is producing power approximately equivalent to being in afterburner however remember it is for a short time. I would like to be guaranteed a landing on a flat deck given enough fuel for that evolution. There is no 'trying to land' for the F-35B there is just 'STOP then LAND'.

BTW the F-35C appears to be a '3-wire machine' so far under test getting either 2 or 3 wire out of 150 attempts (discounting deliberate test bolters). It seems the F-35C will also stop 'trying to land' and as it says on the NIKE tin 'just do it'.

This particular thread must have a mine of information about 'stopping then landing' both for the Hairier & now the F-35B.