PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA opinion: Aircraft must be grounded in temps over 40 degrees
Old 21st Jun 2017, 12:01
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
How do you feel about a "Normal Procedures" takeoff

In the first instance, quite obviously, I can't recommend it. However, for me, I don't have a problem for my takeoff and am comfortable that I can argue the toss were push to come to shove. In any case, I prefer to follow the POH data and OEM recommendations for light singles to avoid the problem.

If the POH doesn't have any data relating to a configuration/speed schedule, then the pilot is on his/her Pat Malone if choosing to operate in such a manner. If one isn't able to justify the activity, perhaps one ought to fly it as appropriate for whatever charts are extant ?

The big boys don't fly when it's over the limits I imagine their charts are compiled somewhat differently

The charts are more complex and cover considerably more concerns. However, at the end of the day, the two areas have their similarities

and they fly the chart speeds every takeoff and landing.

Indeed .. and I really can't see why the light aircraft can't be operated with a similar philosophy ?

Not to mention things like derated takeoffs that require more runway, V1 speeds etc. - they mean that the performance calculations are more critical.

All the numbers are critical if the operation be limiting. However, there is no a priori reason why data for the heavy need be more accurate than for the light .. other than the cost of development consideration.

and you find yourself consulting the charts

as one should, unless the data be the same as a previously determined case.

I would certainly be cautious about exceeding the temperature range.

Indeed, as would I.

What is the applicable rule? How is that rule applied to each parameter?

As we both know, there is none. Ergo, the second concern is moot. Equally, both you and I are able to generate a reasonable argument to cover reasonable excursions.

I probably ought to have kept my peace and not posted .... ?

Where do CASA's declared density altitude charts fit into all this, they don't mention temperature

I think they are an historical anachronism which hasn't yet been consigned WPB, round.

if an aircraft's AFM caps performance data at 40C

One ought to be VERY cautious when it comes to extrapolating temperatures .. OAT affects both airframe and engine and, in the absence of specific data relating to both, especially the engine, it can get rubbery .. quickly.