PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2017, 09:49
thewisealderman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SR71
Its also worth bearing in mind the environment the "new guys" operate in these days.

I'm closer to 50 than 40. Bought my first house for ~£55K in the 90's when my starting salary was ~£35K.

Ratio: 0.63

Scale that upwards to today where the average cost of housing in my postcode is now ~£740K.

I ought to be making £466K if my earnings had kept pace with house price inflation.

How much would I need in my pension pot to get what the retired 777 BA pilot opposite me gets...as a pension? £3million perhaps?

Many of the Senior guys in my Company argue "they've been there, done that" but, making a gross generalisation, the Golden Years of aviation are no longer so golden.

Many of them also say they know what it was like to be made redundant. But when pressed, their redundancy experience lasted days, and a quick phone call had them walking into another job, in some cases, on the same day as their redundancy!

I've been redundant 3 times in my career and during the last experience which lasted 7 months, had to look as far afield as China in an attempt to try and get a job.

Having said all that, I'm happy with my lot, but the arguments for seniority in this day and age, I no longer have any sympathy for. They're a relic of a bygone age where you worked for one airline for the duration of your career and, IMO, dramatically hold down terms and conditions.
Welcome to the layer cake son