PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loss of resettlement assistance at 55 if extended?
Old 20th Jun 2017, 07:24
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Loss of resettlement assistance at 55 if extended?

I've copied this from ARRSE as it is very similar to what happened to a mate at Air Command:

A very good friend and current work colleague - a Group Captain - was offered an extension (at 52) from 55 to 60, which he accepted (kids at school etc). However, he has decided to dabble in a few resettlement courses and was told - categorically - that he cannot undertake any resettlement courses until he PVRs (ET in new Pence) or until he reaches 58.

Now ordinarily, once you get to 50 you can start resettlement courses without having to PVR; for some reason (and what seems to be a quirk in the regulations) that entitlement has stopped if you are extended beyond 55, with NEM cited as the reason.

Now I don't have a dog in this particular fight but my colleague is absolutely fuming about this. He can't see the logic of this and has been basically palmed off with 'computer says no'. He was very tempted to PVR but luckily his wife persauded him to calm down. Instead he's stomping off to a solicitor friend; compunded by the fact he is at a digital and remote overseas post.

Have any elderly - but still serving - Arrsers encountered this problem? Any advice I can give before he has a coronary?
This seems absolutely extraordinary - what can be done about it?