PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing studies pilotless planes as it ponders next jetliner
Old 19th Jun 2017, 23:15
Its Maui

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This discussion was based on the article that Boeing is looking into a future of pilotless airliners. I see the argument here so far is basically "if you aren't a pilot you wouldn't understand" and using CURRENT aircraft design and limitations to argue the point.

What difference does it make whether I'm a pilot or not? Ever heard the phrase play the ball not the man?

QF32 was an A380. The whole point is the near future will bring designs that will be pilotless. What's the point of talking about A380s? Future designs will be able to cope with minor and major ECAMs or equivalents in ways that are not a million miles away from how human pilots cope today.

Non-normal handling was not to mean handling of the ECAMs etc, it was the end comment about how to deal with busy airspace/weather/low fuel and tech issues. ATC will handle an autonomous airliner having technical issues the same way they deal with human pilots - vectors and priority.

Anyway, that's my final contribution to what I thought was a discussion, not a 200% I'm right or someone else is right contest. I can see there is no actual discussion going on here, just poor assumptions and denigration of users.