PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2017, 17:13
multum in parvo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair Critisism?

While I fully understand the anger and frustration that appears throughout this thread I have great difficulty in seeing what, if anything, the current Commandant could have done to rectify the gliding situation.
As I understand it, the contract to provide engineering support for the glider fleet was let before her time in office. The responsibility for air cadet gliding was subsequently transferred out of HQAC to 3 FTS to ensure there was sufficient flying SQEP involved in the process, aithough the engineering contract monitoring remained within HQAC. The issues concerning engineering standards and compliance were only discovered when 2FTS stood up. Whatever individuals feel about the current incumbant his suspension of flying was greatly to his credit. Since then issues of finance, contract and industry capacity will have severely constrained the options.
Given that the current Comdt has been handed the distinctly unpleasant end of the stick I believe she has done as well as anyone could (and better than most) to not only hold the organisation together but to ensure that this generation of cadets get the best experience that they can given the circumstances. We may not be twitter and facebook fans but the cadets are and they enjoy her posts Those that meet her comment on her enthusiasm, energy and commitment which for teenagers is vital and so sadly lacking in many areas of society.
Have the VGS volunteers been treated in the worst possible way by the leadership at 2FTS? It would appear that the answer (if this thread reflects the truth) can only be yes. Have cadets missed out on the gliding experience that was the common currency of previous generations, yes that have. But, if future cadets are going to have an RAF supported aviation organisation to join, can I think of anyone who could have worked harder to ensure it will be there for them, no I can't.
For the record I am former serving and still work with cadets. I could be described as an admin shiney but I hope one of many that understand the absolute and central requirement for the air in air cadets.