PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDINBURGH - 2
Thread: EDINBURGH - 2
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2017, 11:01
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sk1schoolsam
The domestic arrivals process is the norm at most U.K. Airports now, especially with the low cost carriers in play on domestic routes. Every few domestic flights get the special air bridge treatment with the exception of the BA Heathrow flights and occasional Gatwick. Only Heathrow can you almost guarantee an air bridge at the other end. If you just don't like it stop moaning get the train to the SE England for more money, more time and shoddy service. I will stick with good old EDI. It's improving and will get better with the extensions.

Oh and the airport is my anyway near capacity either. It had its peaks but plenary of quieter times too. Bring in the more direct flights.....
Be positive people growth is good....
Is it the norm?

Most UK airports have at least got the domestic baggage screened off from public don't they? I don't recall walking through the departure lounge in LTN, STN, LCY, LHR, LGW, BHD, BFS, MAN or BHX. GLA and EDI, yes, but it seems to be the minority of airports where this happens. Most have a dedicated route that keeps arriving and departing pax separate.

The domestic baggage belts at EDI are pretty unacceptable in this day and age, public access should not be allowed frankly. They had their chance to screen it off for years, but have plonked that silly new check in area there. Why that couldn't have gone where belt 6 is and a new reclaim belt put where the jet 2 check in area is, thus allowing an enclosed baggage reclaim, I don't know, but it seems to be a huge wasted opportunity.

Yes, EDI is growing, but the extensions will only do so much to alleviate the problems.Like you say, it's got it's peaks, but those peaks really do stretch it to the limit. Ques for security were down past the luggage point one day recently and the very next day were re-routed down to beyond the Costa Coffee at International 1. That continued for several days during the peak morning rush. It's no good saying that there are quiet times when the terminal can't cope during the times of high demand. Eventually a significant or total rebuild is going to have to be looked at. Yes, it'll cause huge disruption, but if done in stages the end result will be worth it for a future proof airport. The work being done now will bring them up to where they should have been about 10 years ago, let's be honest. I say this as someone who works at EDI and who supports the airport and the direct routes as much as is practically possible, but a lot of work is needed and pop up check in desks are not the answer.