PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blimp Down at U.S. Open
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2017, 01:26
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gums
I had to grade Brian's papers at Air University back in 1977 or so. He could write fairly well for his stage and background. He was not arrogant, and he did not use his disfigurement as a "crutch" . He was an outstanding athlete and that saved his butt after getting burned so badly. Most of us would not have survived the "treatment/therapy".

I only know him and one other SR-71 troop, and will not comment about that aspect of his career.
He is an entertaining speaker and like my sea stories, there is an element of truth in many of his tales.

According to an NTSB tweet, the airship that crashed was a Gefa Flug GmbH AS-105GD blimp [sic].

Here is a description of the AS-105GD from another aerial advertising company website:

Gefa-Flug AS 105 GD

Our Gefa-Flug thermal airship is a four seat design and is 135 ft long (nearly half of a football field). It has full aircraft communications capability including a Mode C transponder, which will allow it to operate in and around congested, tower controlled airspace such as Sacramento, Oakland, even Los Angeles.

The Envelope

The AS 105 GD envelope (inflated part) has a volume of 105,943 cu.ft. and is capable of carrying two specially fitted main banners which provide an advertising area of nearly 4000 square feet. Our envelope is also set up for rare "chin" banners up front and there are smaller advertising areas available on the envelope for sewn banners or artwork. The combined banner area is nearly 5000 square feet, more than SEVEN standard highway billboards. The use of banners allows a one day change out for special promotions.
More and pictures here:

Cheers Over California, Inc - GEFA-FLUG AS105GD Thermal Airship - Specifications/Technical