PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2017, 07:41
Tormas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
139 Cabin Door opening in flight

Originally Posted by manamale
Have any of you had incidences of the main cabin door opening in flight, and if so can you describe the event and any remedies ye took to avoid it happening again. Was the door closed from the inside? Pins not engaged? Speed at the time the door opened etc
Wasn't my flight but yes company had a door open in flight, not sure of speed but it wasn't pretty when I believe the door opened and came off the bottom rails, thank goodness for floats on wheel sponsons to stop the door from flapping all the way up and coming off going through the tail rotor ( excuse the dramatics but it could have been ugly) turns out (my opinion so don't use it against me) the pin in the door had broken, I believe was due to being set a little too tight and with use eventually weakened and bent and broke the pin ( 8mm or 10mm bolt so not small) this was on a low time aircraft. R1,000,000 later door replaced. Thoughts if you get a door unlock light but seems to be closed, remove passengers, close door, lock it with a seatbelt from the front row and fly home as slow as your fuel supply will allow. Or put a crew man holding the door. Remove door open covering and inspect for bent rods.

My thoughts only - use it don't use it ;-)