PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2017, 16:09
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Watches: About 1970 I invested in a very fine Omega Seamaster for navigation in my newly rebuilt Tiger Moth. The watch stopped after six months, was fixed by the supplier, failed again after 10 months and was again repaired.

About 14 months after purchase I was flying from Weston-super-Mare to Blackpool on a pretty nasty day, with oblique vis only a couple of miles as I approached the smoky Wirral. In those days there was a low-level corridor from Crewe to Wigan, enabling VFR crossing of the Manchester zone at max 1000ft. I was amazed to find my Tiger Moth was doing mach 1 as pinpoints popped up ahead of time. In fact my Omega was running at half speed and then stopped; fortunately I knew the route well and noticed before blundering into the Manchester zone.

The Omega agent was quite surprised that I had expected an accurate and reliable watch. Those days being before consumer legislation, I had to cough up another six weeks' wages to buy a Seiko, which keeps perfect time to this day although I can no longer get batteries for it.

This great thread: only 114 posts to go before we clock up No. 11000. Danny, please stand by.

Thanks: to Danny and those who sent PM following my Poona reminiscences, but sorry that's my lot. Still think it's strange that I have such clear memories from 70 years ago yet I can't remember why I came into this room. Oh yes … it was to write this post