PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smoking on the flight-deck
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2003, 18:57
Northern Chique

PPRuNe's Paramedic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmmm thinks back over all those "a couple-a-smokes wont kill me folks"

one by one I watched em die... and they never went fast. The lucky ones have emphasema or had a stroke... if you call it lucky.

The modern cigarette is a stick full of chemicals, a far cry from the tobacco of old. Given the increasing number of areas were being closed to smokers, even my paramedic friends are giving up... not for their health, but for the lack of places to smoke.

The bigger worry I see is alcohol. That stuff in abnormal quantities is a death trap, and again, hard to give up once addicted and the results of a drinking binge and driving home are often fatal. There are many social indescretions also arising from overconsumption. but I digress....

I think "fine", if a person wants to smoke, as long as they show consideration for those around them. boozing and killing someone is unforgivable.

I have the feeling that given enough pressure, the cockpit inhabitants of the aforementioned airline will suffer lungfuls of smoke unless they recruit outside help. One person used to send a chest xray to his company after he had a chat to his doctor. Each xray would come up relatively clean. There came a time when a massive chest infection left his lungs filled with matter which showed up during the xray. The company was pertinant enough to get the hint and banned smoking, as the doctors report stated - male nonsmoker with bronchial lesions possibly precancerous query due to secondary smoking in workplace environment. Very brave of both of them.