PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yak 52 down Nr Boscombe 8/7/2016
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2017, 13:27
Chris Kebab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That SI is an absolutely shocking read and, as Beagle states, ought to become the starting point on any course discussing how a flying organisation ought not to be run. It is probably one of the most startling for many years.

QinetiQ should never have let that aircraft get airborne from Boscombe Down with either a military or civilian member of ETPS (which, as I understand it, they now own) on-board, looks a real dereliction of their airworthiness and safety responsibilities. QinetiQ - a supposed world class organisation, I just hope they have been able to acknowledge and rectify their failings.

And where was the AWC is all of this with regards the much vaunted MAA DH process? Surely they retained primacy with regards the duty of care to a serving Flt Lt while flying on duty, or did they? What oversight/assurance were they providing to serving ETPS military aircrew on a day-to-day basis while flying on behalf of QinetiQ? Personally I couldn't untangle the division of responsibility between the AWC and QinetiQ in this report with regards a serving military pilot, flying a CAA regulated aircraft, in an MOD funded, privately owned, flying organisation - or is that just me? Who is the dog and who is the tail in this QinetiQ/AWC arrangement?

Suspect the fallout from this could run and run - and that's even before the AAIB present their report. As others have said the good Flt Lt was seriously let down - in my opinion by both QinetiQ and the AWC - and he did deserve a lot better; RIP.

Last edited by Chris Kebab; 17th Jun 2017 at 05:07. Reason: grammar