PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2017, 08:09
ATNotts

Received 293 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Hotel Tango
That's true, but it doesn't make me feel any better. I have been using BHX regularly for the past 45 years but it's only in the past 18 months or so that it has become an increasingly irritating experience. What really bugs me is the lack of honesty by the airport management who hide behind PR stats such as that illustrated above.
You don't have to delve too deeply into other threads withing Airlines, Airports & Routes to find that pretty well all of the UK's major airports are to some extent shambolic, and unable to cope with growth - be it Manchester with car parking and security issues, Luton with ditto, Edinburgh with a terminal bursting at the seams, LHR and LGW with periodic baggage and other issues.

Analysing the problem, I'd suggest the common factor is that all are privately operated companies who's main aim is profit, followed by profit, with profit coming a close third. I'm not suggesting that everything that is nationalised is / was great - it isn't / wasn't but you do have to question whether a return to some sort of governmental oversight and funding for proper modernisation and expansion might be appropriate; even though the UK has a track record of building for today, and never for tomorrow.